Why is this a critical time to re-evaluate your treasury management strategy? We can start to answer that question by
providing a brief example. Imagine a company that enjoys $50 million in annual sales and borrows at 5 percent. Simply by
accelerating by two days the pace at which it receives payment on its accounts receivables, this company could trim costs by approximately $20,000 yearly.
Today’s rising-rate environment and more volatile economy add urgency to many companies’ goal of regularly revisiting treasury management strategies. Strengthening your cash position can boost liquidity, reduce interest expenses and enable the company to more readily obtain business loans. Following are a few suggested tips companies should consider in reframing approaches to cash management.
- Streamline payments. A critical step in reexamining treasury management strategy is ensuring timely collections. Make sure it’s as quick, easy and convenient as possible for customers to pay your invoices. To that end, institute prescheduled automated clearinghouse (ACH) debits to streamline collections.
- Re-examine liquidity needs. Given the rising interest rates environment, it may be that your day-to-day operating cash, reserve cash and investment cash needs have changed. After all, rising rates impact your company’s money market deposits and interest earning checking accounts, as well as time deposits and sweep accounts. Bring your cash liquidity in step with today’s reality.
- Upgrade your technology. One result of revisiting treasury management can be use of more advanced tech tools and information reporting. New tech options can deliver enhanced transparency and increased control.
- Communicate about change. After revising your treasury management strategy, communicate your hopes and concerns not just to your team but also your bank. Business bankers can shepherd companies through rising-rate challenges.
The only constant in life and business is change. That makes ongoing re-assessment of treasury management strategies a business imperative.
How could treasury management strategy re-evaluation benefit your company?
For related content, check these articles:
- Revealed: Keys to Maximizing Cash Flow Efficiency
- How do Smart Companies Maximize Treasury Management Services?
- How to Know the Right Amount When Borrowing?